I freaking love red meat, white meat, and game meat most of all. I really do.
I also love the light feeling that comes with eating clean. That lighter, faster, just been to the car wash and my car feels like it drives better but I'm not sure why feeling. I've recently spent two weeks in Central Oregon with my partner who maintains a 95% vegan diet.
( So I guess in that last metaphor, she is the carwash? )
Two weeks ago I thought I'd be deficient in vital nutrients and the vampiric symptoms would have started appearing. But I'm fine... Great even. I did have a few eggs one day and even ate some grass-fed buffalo at one point, but only because I felt that my body needed it. That is 90% less animal based protein than I would have normally consumed.
While I'm certainly not removing meat or any animal based protein from my diet completely, I will be more conscious of choosing what I eat based on what my body is asking for... not just what sounds tasty.
This is all building up to the tastiest pizza I've ever experienced.
I went gluten free last October when I was trying to work out some awesome (not awesome) digestion issues. They disappeared when I cut out gluten (and pretty much all grains) so I stuck with it...
Que cravings for pretty much everything that has gluten in it:
Most of all... fresh baked, fluffy, wonderful pizza crust. Anyone that has done the "Gluten free thing" knows that anything that is baked and tastes good with gluten... tastes like wet Amazon boxes when you make it gluten free.
So remove all the "glutenious" factors from the dough, strip away all other things that could be fatty and delicious thus making it "vegan", and what are you left with? Usually a limp, flattened dog biscuit with an "oily salad" on top.
Tasty, Gluten free, Vegan Pizza?
- 1x Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- 4-6x Cloves of Garlic (to your taste)
- 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1.5 Cups warm water
- A bunch of olive oil
- Basting Brush
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixer (Better be industrial... this dough gets THICK)
- Preheat Oven to 425F
- Take a small saucepan and combine 2-4 cloves of minced garlic with 4-6 tsp of olive oil - let that sauté while you complete step 3
- Grab your Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Crust - Follow the instructions for the vegan style crust
- When you get to the "Pre-baking step" - Snag your basting brush and lather that tasty, garlic-y goodness, all over that badboy. Be sure to get the crust.
- Toss it into the oven for 7-9 minutes
- 3x Stalk Kale
- 2x small Sweet Peppers
- 1x medium Tomato
- 4x Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1-2x cloves of Garlic
- 2/3x Cup Hummus
- 1/3 Cup Pico de Gallo
- (optional) 3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Mix the hummus and Pico de Gallo - Spread evenly over the entire topping area
- Chop, dice, and slice all produce to your liking
- Distribute your toppings evenly over the pizza using the golden ratio. Pizza math is key here.
- Dip back into your garlic-y goodness mix and baste generously over the crust.
- (optional) Drizzle 3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil over the toppings
- Bake for the remaining time (until crust is golden)
If you create bad boy on your own, send me photos. I love #pizzafoodporn!